Carolyn combines health care training with additional acupuncture training to assess and treat conditions that are suitable for acupuncture.
Acupuncture has its origins in Traditional Chinese Medicine and western research trials are also increasingly proving its effectiveness. It is recommended as a treatment by:
- The European Guidelines for the treatment of Pelvic Girdle Pain
- The Pelvic, Obstetric and Gynaecological Physiotherapy organisation (POGP, formerly ACPWH)
Within women’s health it is commonly used to treat:
- Low back pain
- Pelvic Girdle Pain (formerly SPD) in pregnancy and post natal
- Hormonal imbalance (such as Polycystic ovaries & hormonal headaches)
- Fatigue & sleep disorders
- Nausea & vomiting (including morning sickness)
- Migraines and tension headaches
- Labour preparation & induction
Treatment involves the insertion of very fine, single-patient-use needles to stimulate the nervous system, via the nerves in muscles and skin. This brings about the release of natural painkilling and healing chemicals in the spinal cord and brain. Research has shown that acupuncture influences the nervous system, hormonal system, respiratory, reproductive and urinary systems.
There is no evidence of any harmful effects from acupuncture to the mother or unborn child.
At the initial assessment I will take a full history of your problem and integrate acupuncture into an overall treatment plan, which may also include exercises or other physiotherapy treatment. Acupuncture treatment is cumulative so initially appointments may be weekly or twice-weekly but the intervals will then usually lengthen.